Skip to main content

Galway!




We've made it to Galway! After an amazing visit to St. Patrick’s University Hospital on the fourth (where we were greeted with American flags!) and a visit to Trinity's School of Nursing and Midwifery, yesterday we made it to Galway. It was about a 3 hour drive from Dublin to Galway, and we got to see the rural parts of Ireland on our trip there. Once we got to Galway, we went for fish and chips at McDonagh's; one of the most famous fish and chips places in Galway. After dinner, we went to a pub that had a live band playing. They were very good, and made the atmosphere of the pub more cohesive and lively. One of my favorite things that we did last night was the walk back to where we are staying on the National University of Ireland Galway's campus. It was a beautiful night, right at sunset, and the walkway is right next to a river. Today we went to visit Jigsaw. Jigsaw is a youth mental health service for ages 15-25. There are 13 nationwide clinics, including the one we visited in Galway. It was different to anything that I have ever heard in the States. It was such an open and inviting center. I was very surprised to hear that all of the services that Jigsaw provides are free, including a primary screening, up to 8 counseling services, and if needed, an onsite GP visit. After Jigsaw, we took a bus out to the Cliffs of Moher. These cliffs were absolutely breathtaking. As you are walking up the incline, you are wondering if the view will deliver, and it totally did. To be able to see the ocean crashing into the side of the cliffs, it makes you think about how the cliffs were created and how they are getting taller each year. 



Comments

  1. Amazing pictures! I'm glad you're having fun. You inspire me to take a trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh, the Cliffs! Awesome! I tried to eat fish & chips everyday. So fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Daphne, my name is Allison and I'm the Social Media Strategist for NIU. Would you mind if we used one of your Huskie flag photos on our social media channels to highlight the Study Abroad program? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's no problem! Feel free to use any of my pictures. Just let me know if you do so that I can share the post!

      Delete
    2. Great! Thanks Daphne! I'll keep you posted when we share them. -Allison

      Delete
  4. Hi Daphne, I wanted to let you know that we used some of your pictures in a post on our Instagram page. I tagged your Instagram account and the Study Abroad program's Instagram. -Allison

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Back to Dublin

A lot has happened these past few days. On Tuesday, we came back to Dublin, and visited The Royal Hospital to see their physiotherapy units. The Royal Hospital is the oldest operating hospital in Ireland. Their patients all vary in needs and disability level, but they all need some sort of rehab therapy. We were able to tour their facilities and interact with not only the PT’s, but also the OT’s. It was a very different visit then what we had experienced, but it was great to see another one of Ireland's health care services. Wednesday was a crazy day. In addition to our scheduled programming of visiting with Dr. Emma Stokes, Associate Professor of the Department of Physiotherapy at Trinity, and going to see Riverdance at the Gaiety Theater,  the Duke and Dutchess of Sussex were on the campus of Trinity to see the Book of Kells. We were able to make it into the public viewing section of campus, so we were able to see them. Not only did we see them, but we got to shake their h

Back to America

I have been back in the United States for a few weeks now, and the first few days were definitely an adjustment.  I didn't have any of the reverse culture shock. I mostly struggled with getting my sleeping schedule back on Illinois time. The first few days back, I was waking up at 4am, which is 10 am Dublin time. It was funny to me that I had a harder time with jet lag coming home, when I wasn't worried about it at all, than I did going to Ireland. Other than my sleep schedule, the only other thing I noticed when coming home was that I have a sense of wanting to go back and experience even more! I think that I really did get the travel bug from this experience studying abroad. I have no doubt that I will see Ireland again.  I also want to take this final blog post to thank everyone who helped me make this dream a reality, especially my family, NIU, and the NIU Study Abroad Office. Without your support, I don't know if I would have been able to study abroad.  Sláinte!